This article covers the following: -
1. A brief history of tents.
2. The main questions to ask when looking for your tent to buy.
3. Why Dome Tents are the most popular choice.
A brief history of tents
The tent has been used as a shelter for literally thousands of years. The word tent can be found in the Bible, in the scriptures of Babylon and throughout the stories of time. The tent is associated with the earliest known nomadic tribes and migrating communities of just a few hundred years ago. The ease of setting up and taking down made them a primary choice for a portable home. Today the tent is used for all manner of activities such as emergency shelter and aiding the military, from circus entertainment to mountaineering. These days it is also used for more recreational and leisurely pursuits of families such as camping and hiking.
Main questions about tents
Finding the right tent for you and your family?
Set out below are just some of the questions you might ask yourself regarding your choice of tent when doing research?
Why am I using the tent?
• Good question. What type of environment or climate will I be using the tent in? (Ask yourself in what camping scenario will you be using the tent?)
Where will I be using the tent?
• What terrain? Is it a prepared area camping site, out in the wild, or even in your own back garden?
What are the likely weather conditions or what seasons will you camp in?
• For instance, you may be camping during the summer where you need good ventilation for the warm evenings, or you may want protection from the early or late season showers.
How much does the tent weigh?
• Will I be carrying the tent for miles hiking in the hills?
How many people will be using your tent?
• Think also about the future of your tent.
Will I be using the internal space for storage as well as sleeping?
• Often that extra space is a welcomed benefit when zipping up at night.
How often will the tent get used per year; will it be an all season tent?
• Will your new tent be used all year round and will it need to suit all your occupant’s needs?
What Color Do I Choose?
• Light colors are best for natural light inside and a dark colored tent will be dark inside. Another consideration when choosing your favorite color for your tent.
Why Dome Tents?
Why are Dome Tents the most popular choice with camping families, individuals and day hikers? Dome Tents have become the standard choice as a leading product with all tent manufacturer’s offering one of the most popular styles of tent available today.
Dome tents normally use a crossing pole system to form a dome shape. Dome Tents offer a strong design and can give the best use of internal space. The Geometrical Dome design was popularized by Buckminster Fuller during Expo 67 and as early as 1949 he demonstrated his first geodesic dome building that could sustain its own weight.
The modern Dome Tents today have been modified extensively to produce a tried and tested product that offers a tent is built with highly tested water-resistant material and a sonic welded polyethylene floor, as well as factory taped fly seams, ventilation mesh and openings, covered porch and storage areas whilst using the Geometrical shape.